The tunnels are snaking away under the earth, growing as you explore them, so what’s next?
Random Dungeon Generation of course!
This is the first draft where I try to set up rules and just write down ideas about how it might/will/can function so comments are welcome!
Dungeons will be harder if they are generated at deeper levels than on shallower levels and they will contain and be built with one or more of those ‘things’:
- Door opening when a particular enemy is beaten
- Doors closing when player walks on a trigger
- Teleport traps (unique usage or not)
- Hidden traps makes you fall down one level
- Monster generators
- Timed Bombs (ticks only when you ‘feed’ time to it)
- Toxic walls (you take damage if you are close)
- Levers to pull, can have more or less any effect
- Rising water
- Fake traps (to scare you)
- Triggered rolling stones (Rick Dangerous style)
- Rooms filled with evil trashmobs
- Pushable walls (with hidden traps under?)
- The shadow trap (you’ll see for yourselves)
- Mimics (monsters disguising as nice loot)
- Moving walls (nice for the maze or the toxic walls)
- Moving traps
For it all to work I guess I’ll have to englobe the whole dungeon (except the entry and possible exits) with some sort of indestructible wall/floor/ceiling so you can’t just dig your way directly to the treasure. Some dungeons could be in the sky (don’t fall off!) or in another dimension or on top of something toxic. On the other hand, one type of dungeon could be made so ju Can dig through different parts / around impossible enemies…
The AI for the bosses and also for its minions will be different from the ordinary basic AI and might include
- Using offensive spells
- Ordinary bashing
- Self healing
- Healing minions
- Fleeing (he might open a locked door to flee)
- Lower players characteristics (like a bonus)
- Teleport (itself)
- Teleport players
- Glueing (“Slow”)
- Invoking enemies
- Invoking hordes of enemies you have to (successfully) flee from
- Dropping Time Bombs
- Locking doors locking you in
- Break walls or invoke new walls
- And I guess a lot more…
there might also be friendly NPC:s who wants to get escorted to safety or to some special place where something will happen like map-alteration, reduced boss-powers or why not loot or the NPC becomes the boss.
Maybe sometimes you can find a shop in there too?